Monday, April 7, 2008

Make Me Believe

The Sugarland song Make Me Believe came on the radio last night and a very powerful memory comes with this song so I thought I would share.  


As many of you know  Jackson's fourth month of life was spent in Dallas.  That is 6 hours away from family, friends, our home.  Carrie you so wonderfully keep Abigail during this time.  Thanks again.  For me this was probably the darkest of our times.  While in Dallas the doctors found something new daily.  Not just something little it was this is what's wrong and we are going to operate tomorrow.  It was hard to stay positive.  Chris and I were in Jackson's room at the hospital when his phone rang.  It was Michael (Chris' best friend since third grade)  he and his fiancee (my step sister) were in Dallas for the Kenny Chesney concert.  Not only were they going to the concert they had tickets for us.  This was a total surprise.  The concert was about an hour from the hospital in an outdoor soccer complex.  We had amazing seats floor level.  It was June in Texas so yes it was hot.  Then the sky decided to open up and start raining.  We first tried to stay dry with makeshift trash bag ponchos.  We gave in and enjoyed the rain pouring on us.  I remember thinking how symbolic the rain was and how it was somehow  washing away all things I had stressed over for months.  I sang at the top of my lungs, I laughed something I hadn't done in months, and after a few margaritas felt like I could survive anything. Sugarland came on before Kenney and they were amazing.  Chris is Rock 'n' Roll so he didn't know the songs.  They started to sing Make me believe and we danced in the rain crying over the words holding on to each-other for dear life.  We have tried to tell our friends just how much that night meant to us but there aren't words.  That was the one of the most wonderful moments of my marriage.  When everything was crashing down around us we danced in the rain.  You never know how much a simple act of kindness is going to impact someone.  They saved us that night, and they made us believe.  

2 comments:

Patyrish said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I am a huge sap and it truly is moments like that, that will continue to get you through.

You've come a long way Jen, a long way.

Mel said...

I got a little teary, too! What a beautiful story. Thank God for great friends and tender mercies like that!